Monday 29 August 2011

[FIC] Spanish Wine

Title: Spanish Wine
Characters: Sungmin, Heechul
Rating: G
Wordcount: 967
Summary: Sungmin worries too much, Heechul has the answers
A/N: I write too much stories, don't I..? But I love it..

- - - - -

Sometimes we can’t help but wonder what will await us tomorrow. So we sit and think, trying to find a possible scenario for the next day. But it never comes true, does it? And we think about what we want in life, yet we cannot seem to make up our minds. We doubt, we wonder, we ponder.. To what avail? We dream of bigger things, come up with ‘What if’s and ‘If I had just’s, yet those only hurt us.

“What are you doing here?”

Shocked, Sungmin turned to look at the person who said those words. He felt his heartbeat slow down again when he recognized the other and let out a little sigh.

“I could ask you the same question, Heechul-ssi.”

To Sungmin’s surprise, there was no answer as the other calmly walked up to him and took a place at the edge of the roof as well. He watched his hyung stare out into the night for a while.

“You could, but you would not get an answer and I would still be waiting for yours.” A short pause. “But how many times do you want me to tell you? Drop the ssi, add a hyung. How long have we known each other now?”

Sungmin smiled involuntarily. Heechul often seemed to have that effect.

“Long enough, I guess.”

Silent again. They stood, they stared, they didn’t say anything anymore. Until..

“So what are you doing up here?”

“Thinking.”

“About?”

“Life..”

“Yah! Are you going to make me pull it out of you word by word? Spit it out already!”

A flicker of a smile rushed over Sungmin’s face with the outburst of his hyung. Only seconds later, worry and doubt conquered his expression again, however, and he turned to stare at the city as well. It was full of lights and life, even though it must have been past midnight already.

“Heechul-ssi, I think you will not understand the things that bug me.”

“Try me.”

Sungmin looked at his friend for a while, trying to level his seriousness. There was no sound coming from the normally noisy Heechul and he was still staring out into the night. Yet Sungmin knew that every word he would say, would be heard and listened to.

“Who are we?” he asked, gazing up at the moon. A little cloud floated in front of it, dimming the light a little before passing by. “I asked myself this so many times..”

“We are Super Junior members.” the reply came. Soft. Low. Serious. Very unlike his hyung. “We sing popular songs, dance popular dances. We do whatever we are told to do and say what people want to hear from us. We are idols.”

Heechul smirked.

“But right here, right now.. We are just Sungmin and Heechul.” Another pause. “Tell me what has been bothering you..”

Sungmin turned his head again to look at the other. His black hair hung down next to his face, annoying him on the one hand, feeling rather comforting on the other. He stroked it out of his eyes with a little sigh.

“My hair is almost as long as yours.”

“I see very well why that would bother you, but I don’t think it is what brought you to this rooftop on such a, if I can mention it, wonderful evening.”

Another flash of a smile lit up Sungmin’s face, mirrored by the little raise of the corners of Heechul’s mouth when the latter turned to look at him.

“Shouldn’t we be enjoying our lives?”

“Aren’t we?”

“We work. It is true that we have fun from time to time, but mostly, we are simply working our butts off.”

“Did we not choose this life? This work? I agree it is hard sometimes, I agree it can get lonely sometimes, I agree it is simply work most of the time, but.. Is it not what we have decided to spend our life with?”

Ah. Bitterness was in his hyung’s voice as well. Sungmin could hear regret pouring out of Heechul’s mouth together with the words.

“We were young, were we not?”

“And foolish.”

“Some are still.”

A bitter laugh came from Heechul as he turned to his younger friend with an indefinable look in his eyes.

“It does not do to dwell in the past. What has been, will not return again and is now nothing but a memory. It is only today that matters, because if you screw up today, it will be a mess to clean up tomorrow.”

Heechul put a hand on his friend’s shoulder and turned him away from the edge of the roof. As he started to walk towards the door, he softly pulled the other along with him.

“Don’t think so much, Sungmin-ah, it brings you nothing but pain. Come, let’s go back and have a drink. I have this bottle of amazing Spanish wine lying around in my room and I think I might just feel like sharing today.”

Sometimes we can’t help but wonder what will await us tomorrow. So we sit and think, trying to find a possible scenario for the next day. But it never comes true, does it? And we think about what we want in life, yet we cannot seem to make up our minds. We doubt, we wonder, we ponder.. To what avail? We dream of bigger things, come up with ‘What if’s and ‘If I had just’s, yet those only hurt us..

Luckily, at those times, there will be someone who comes and pulls our head out of those clouds to put us back with our two feet on the ground. On such moments, we remember that tomorrow is steadily closing in on us and there’s nothing we can do about it, so we better enjoy today while we still can.

No comments:

Post a Comment