Tuesday 30 August 2011

[FIC] It's Complicated

Title: It's Complicated
Characters: Kibum, OC, SJ
Rating: PG
Chaptercount: 10/36
Summary: Soojin meets a guy who turns her world upside down but then there's a few dozen others as well.
A/N: This is one of my most beloved novels (not that I wrote THAT many, but still) and I think I will forever cherish the characters in this. This story also helped me shape my view on the different members and is the first of few stories in which I used first person.

- - - - -

I got to him in no time. Up to this day, I still wonder how it was physically possible for me to get past Kibum and Eun Hee so fast. I have even considered the possibility of having crawled over the table to be faster, but Kibum, Eun Hee, Jungsoo and Haerin would all keep assuring me that I had slid through in between Kibum’s chair and the wall. Thinking back, however, I am still convinced that no real human could have gotten through that tiny space. All that didn’t matter at that moment, though, as I threw myself into the newly arrived person’s arms.

“Oppa!” I called out, wrapping my arms around his neck and holding him tight. I could hear his laughter resound through my body as he gave me one of his big bear hugs and twirled me around. A wide grin had spread over my face as well and it didn’t leave even after I was put back on my feet. I looked up, beaming with happiness as he ruffled my hair the second time someone did that to me that evening and showed me a happy grin. I couldn’t help but grin back.

“Soosoo! How are you? Ahh, you look wonderful, girl!” he told me, letting his eyes skim my outfit. As opposed to what happened after Kibum's compliment, I only grinned wider at his words and did not blush at all. “Are those earrings..? Oh wow! Your mother must have been thrilled seeing you go out, huh?” he went on. I smiled sheepishly at his remark, knowing just how much my mother treasured the earrings. He immediately averted my attention to something else, however, making me unable to ponder about it any longer. “Who are your friends?” I turned to look at the others, noticing how my five companions were eyeing me with expectant faces.

“Ah, yes!” I exclaimed, waving a hand in my friends’ direction. “These are Kibum, Eun Hee, Jungsoo, Haerin and Jongwoon. Guys, this is Youngwoon.” I then introduced them all to each other. I saw Kibum’s expression turn confused and shot him a smile. “Don’t you know him? I mean, you said you know me so well, right? As you’ve been in my class since kindergarten and all. Didn’t you mention something about building sandcastles and..” I teased him, but he interrupted me with a quite embarrassed look on his face.

“I was in your class, yes. I didn’t stalk you.” he mumbled, face as red as a tomato.

“Oh, I’m sorry, I must have understood it wrongly.” I grinned. “But okay, Youngwoon is my cousin.”

“Hey, what about ‘my dearest’ and the ‘I love him so much?’” my cousin protested. I laughed.

“My bad. Youngwoon is my dearest cousin and I love him so much.” I corrected myself, before turning to look at him. “What about Seoyeon, though?”

“Oh, I’m sure she doesn’t mind, she.. Hello honey.” He turned around to face the person that had interrupted him by hugging him from the back. The young woman standing behind him stood on her toes to give him a short kiss. While they greeted each other, I turned back to my friends whom I had shortly neglected because of the sudden appearance of my cousin.

“That’s his girlfriend Seoyeon?” Eun Hee guessed before I could say anything. I nodded with a grin.

“And he just came back from the military so she missed him lots?” Jongwoon then guessed. I nodded again. We were silent for a moment before the three of us started chuckling. The other three gave us a few weird looks and Kibum mumbled a ‘I should’ve known you would fit into that family.’ I stuck out my tongue at him, before turning back to Youngwoon. My cousin was still hugging his girlfriend, but his attention was on me again.

“We’ll get going then, Soosoo. Don’t want to disturb your nice evening with the friends. Come by sometime soon, okay? We have a lot of catching up to do.” he said to me, earning a slight tap on his cheek from Seoyeon. She scowled at him when he gave her a surprised look and then turned to me with one of her sincere smiles.

“Why don’t you come by tomorrow, Soojin-ah?” she asked me. I bit my lip as I thought over my plans for the weekend.

“I’m sorry, but tomorrow I’m going out playing basketball with a couple of other friends.” I replied, making her smile falter and a look of disappointment appear on her face. “But I’m free on Sunday, I could come by then?” Those words cheered my cousin-in-law or something like that up and she agreed to my offer wholeheartedly. They greeted my friends and hugged me both, before walking away. As I followed them with my eyes, I saw how Seoyeon playfully scolded Youngwoon and how he showed her some puppy eyes in return, immediately winning her over. I laughed softly watching the scene. When I turned back to my friends, I heard a nice song starting to play and felt the sudden urge to dance.

“Loonywoonie.” I therefore said with my best puppy eyes as I turned to the said person. “Come dance with me?” Okay, so I had no idea what to expect from his dancing skills, but I was bored and all the other people were occupied with..well, more other people. He gave me a surprised look and some kind of ‘Are you out of your mind’-stare, before sighing and getting up from his chair. I cheered happily as I dragged him towards the dance floor with me. Eun Hee, Haerin and Jungsoo weren’t far behind us, but Kibum apparently decided to stay put at the table.

The music playing was a nice dance song and I was soon involved in a group of ‘dancing’ people that jumped up and down or made up dance moves on the beat. Eun hee danced along with me and Jungsoo and Haerin were happily shaking away as well. Jongwoon, however, seemed to somehow have a feel for the rhythm of the music, but he didn’t dance to it. His moves were rather disoriented and out of place, and I realised I knew now why he had given me such a weird stare when I had asked him to dance.

When the next song started and became a slow, I decided to save him from further humiliation. Apparently humiliation was something he didn’t really seem to care about, however, as he just happily danced on with the strange moves that could best be described as chaos in human form. I quickly pulled him towards me and a little out of the centre, earning a surprised look from him. I could only smile back, trying to ignore the weird looks some were giving us and the very suggestive wink I got from Haerin. It was one of those ‘Oh, I see what you are trying to do there, girl, so go ahead and go for it’-winks. I ignored it as I focused my attention on Jongwoon again.

“Dance with me.” I said with a smile, wrapping my arms around his neck. He quirked an eyebrow at me, but put his hands on my waist anyway. Forgetting all about the ‘boys are the leading side in a dance’-thing, I pulled him along with me as I softly swayed over the dance floor to the rhythm of the slow song. We were not really pressed close together, but I’m sure we didn’t look like two strangers holding each other for the first time like we actually were. When he suddenly stepped on my foot, I nearly fell, but his arms pulled me against his body and he danced on as if nothing had happened, with me just hanging in his arms. I tried my best to hide my discomfort with our sudden closeness as I fought to put my feet back in the right position to dance the normal way.

After several tries, I finally managed to do so, but Jongwoon had apparently taken a new liking for slowing, as he pulled me along in his dance that went from the left side of the dance floor to the right. We passed a lot of people and I saw a lot of surprised faces. It was so bad that, by the end of the song, I was hanging in his arms again, too weak from all the laughing to keep myself up straight. With my biggest efforts, I managed to drag him away from the dance floor once the song ended, claiming to be thirsty and needing some rest. In reality, I wanted to save the other dancers from the tornado that was Jongwoon.

When we arrived at the table, my companion sat down and I immediately took place on his lap to prevent him from getting up again. It earned me one of Jongwoon’s weird stares and a surprised face, including the raised eyebrow, from Kibum. I flashed the latter a happy grin, before looking at my previous dance partner with the best innocently wondering face I could manage. He shook his head, as if to get rid of something bothering his mind and then nodded at the empty chairs all around.

“There are enough chairs to sit on, Soojin-ssi.” he told me. The formality in his words made me grin like a retard again, because I remembered being swirled around the dance floor only moments earlier by him and the two things totally didn’t match.

“I know, but I like your lap better.” I therefore replied, patting his knee. “Much softer too.”

There were a lot of question marks in his eyes, but he simply shrugged and didn’t say anything else about it anymore. We remained sitting like that for the rest of the evening, with me somehow convincing him to stay put every time he wanted to get up. He always listened to me, even when I said he shouldn’t dance too much because he was too skinny already and couldn’t afford to lose more calories. It amused me and freaked me out at the same time. Especially when the amount of winks from Haerin’s side kept increasing. What did she want from me anyway?

Yet I had fun and at the end of the evening, when everyone was ready to go, I felt slightly disappointed that I had to leave already. Well, already.. It was 3 AM actually, but I could keep on going for a while longer probably. Of course I hadn’t danced as much as Jungsoo, Haerin and Eun Hee, but neither had Kibum and he was yawning like crazy. Jongwoon, who had spent a whole evening talking to Kibum and me, was also tired, but blamed that on the fact that he had to cope with Eun Hee’s hyperactivity day after day. He had turned out to be a very nice companion as well, though, and he had a lot of interesting stories and witty comments.

He even told me about the reasons why he and Jungsoo would dress up like nerds in school. Apparently they had once belonged to the popular group in high school, but after a few months, Jongwoon had gotten into a major argument with Heechul and that had caused internal problems in the group of friends. Jungsoo had been the only one to stick with him in the argument and they had suffered a lot from Heechul’s obvious dislike for them, which had caused them to have to double their year. Since then they had both decided to never get popular again and therefore came to school in the most ridiculous outfits at times, never pulling any positive attention towards them.

They didn’t tell me exactly what happened that caused Heechul to get so mad at Jongwoon and I never asked about the details, but it was made obvious that it was something major. Somehow this didn’t surprise me. I mean, Heechul and Jongwoon being friends? That was bound to go wrong, right? Talking to me about the whole thing did seem to depress Jongwoon a bit, so after a while I decided to change the subject by telling them I played a shooter game. That made Kibum and Jongwoon spend the rest of the evening discussing the best gaming tactics and how to sneak up on enemies without them noticing. That’s why, at 3 AM, I was unwilling to leave.

The others seemed to think my reluctance was because of different reasons, however. As we left, Jongwoon and Eun Hee were offered a ride by Kibum, while Jungsoo and Haerin left together in Jungsoo’s car after some goodbye-saying. The moment I was cosily seated on the backseat of Kibum’s car with Jongwoon in the front with Kibum, Eun Hee scooted closer to me and hooked her arm in mine. There was soft music playing from the radio and the boys had continued their conversation about gaming. I gave her a confused frown as I saw the expectant look in her eyes, which made her grin knowingly.

“So..” she started. “You and my brother, huh?”

I took me a few moments of blankly staring at her to realise what she meant, after which I immediately started laughing so loud that Kibum almost drove into the creek next to the road out of surprise. Eun Hee was shocked by my reaction just as much, as she jumped up in her seat and slid away from me. Jongwoon only gave me a knowing smile. The rest of the trip passed with me bursting out in occasional giggles and the other three sending me weird glances. When I got out of the car at my own place I waved goodbye to them all, needing only one look at Jongwoon to burst out laughing again, before I set off to my door. It was a perfect ending for a perfect evening out.

No comments:

Post a Comment