Tuesday 30 August 2011

[FIC] It's Complicated

Title: It's Complicated
Characters: Kibum, OC, SJ
Rating: PG
Chaptercount: 11/36
Summary: Soojin meets a guy who turns her world upside down but then there's a few dozen others as well.
A/N: This is one of my most beloved novels (not that I wrote THAT many, but still) and I think I will forever cherish the characters in this. This story also helped me shape my view on the different members and is the first of few stories in which I used first person.

- - - - -

The next day was bound to go wrong as I’ve never had two good days in a row in my life. So I wasn’t surprised when Heechul burst in on me still sleeping. What was a little less positive was the fact that his brother had tagged along and they decided to pull my blanket off of me to wake me. So there I was, looking up at them with groggy, sleepy eyes, wearing my Hello Kitty pyjamas. Needless to say they got a good laugh out of it. I myself just rolled out of bed and staggered to the bathroom with a sleepy groan.

“You know, if you don’t want to come along, you could just say so..” Heechul told me.

“Really?” I asked through the bathroom door, hope flaring inside of me. I heard chuckles.

“Sure.” he then replied. “But I’d drag you along anyway.” I sighed and splashed some water in my face. At least my hair didn’t look like a bomb had exploded in my face. That would have been too humiliating.

“Chullie.. Can you get my training and top, please?” I asked as I pulled a brush through my hair.

“I’m still waiting for the day you come along in your cute pyjamas.” the reply came, making me grin at my own reflection in the mirror.

“Maybe once, when I passed my last year of studies or when you can get me drunk enough. Today, just get me the training or I’m not coming at all.” I took my toothbrush and toothpaste and got to brushing my teeth. After a few moments, a knock came and I went to open it to take my clothes. It took me ten more minutes to get completely ready. As we walked downstairs and out of the house together, I tied my hair in a ponytail. Once at the car, I crawled onto the backseat. Heechul slid in next to me, whereas Hangeng got behind the wheel. Heechul claimed it more social to sit next to me, but I soon discovered that he just wanted to ask me out about the previous evening.

“So how was it?”

“Fun.”

“Who was there?”

“Kibum and his friends.”

“What did you do?”

“Talk, dance, ..”

“Dance?”

I sighed and let my head fall down on his shoulder.

“Bummie, I’m tired. Please shut up.”

“Bummie?”

“Did I say Bummie? Sorry, I meant Chullie.”

“So you already call him Bummie?”

“No actually I don’t. I mixed up your nickname with his name. I’m sorry. I told you I’m tired. Can’t I sleep some more?”

Heechul made a disgusted sound and looked up at Hangeng.

“She’s so not in my team today.” he complained. His brother sighed.

“Guess I’ll take her then. But in that case, Tae Woo is in my team too..”

“On a second thought, I’ll take the both of them.”

“Guys, I’m not going to compete today. Throw a few balls perhaps, or make some goals, fine, but I’m not going to exert myself much. I had too little sleep for that. Why are you this early anyway?”

“Because the basketball court was taken later today. We have only the next three hours to play.”

“Oh I see.”

We didn’t say anything more after that as I nearly fell back asleep on Heechul’s shoulder. He kept me from doing so by hopping his shoulder every now and then, making me groan in protest, followed by a chuckle from his side every time again. I gave him a weak hit on his arm, before trying to sleep again. I sighed deeply as the car stopped and the boys told me to get out. Without much enthusiasm, I sat up and crawled back out of the car.

“You look like you were squeezed under a 100 kilo brick and then ripped into pieces until only your nose was left, after which they puzzled all the pieces back together but with some difficulty.” Heechul ‘kindly’ made known to me as he picked my bag out of the car and put an arm around my waist to keep me upright. I could only nod in agreement.

“Thanks for the compliment.” I mumbled. “I feel twice as bad, so this sounds rather good to me still.” He laughed over my words and pinched my side, making me jump up with a shriek. That made him laugh even more, so I pulled free from his grip to walk by myself. Without much enthusiasm, I followed the two brothers into the sport complex and straight to the bar. Once there, I was immediately woken by the greeting of my friends.

“Soojiiiiiiin!” they called out, ganging up on me. I sighed, but smiled as I exchanged hugs and greetings all around. The boys were talking to the Hanchul brothers, so the girls thought it a good idea to drag me along to a more private place.

“So tell us!” Namin exclaimed happily. I gave her a questioning look. “About yesterday silly! Did you kiss?” I was dumbstruck by the question, but before I could reply, Minji already butted in.

“Of course not! I saw her sitting on some other guy’s lap. God, that guy was HOT! They danced together as well, but it looked more like he rampaged over the dance floor. Is he your boyfriend, Jin?”

“Jin doesn’t have a boyfriend, do you?” Namin asked.

“Girls, girls, keep it down a little! Let Soojin think!” Mi Cha interrupted their discussion, calming everyone down. She turned to me after that. “Before you think we’re stalkers, Minji happened to be in the same bar as you yesterday, so she saw you with your friends, buy she didn’t say hi because she didn’t want to disturb you.” I chuckled, shaking my head in disbelief.

“You guys are impossible.” I then scolded them happily. They grinned.

“We know. Now tell us, how was it?” Minji said happily. I found I had no other choice but telling them all about my meeting with the two nerds and how they had changed into gorgeous men that evening, about Jongwoon’s fail dance, about my two new girl friends and about my cousin running by too. Apparently none of them thought the names familiar as they listened without interruptions.

This surprised me so much that I couldn’t help but wonder how much they actually knew from each other. Jongwoon and Kibum had made me feel like the problem between Heechul and Jongwoon had been major, yet Heechul didn’t seem to take it that major at all as he had not said a word about it to his new friends in university.

It also made me wonder about their group as a whole. They were my university’s popular group which was obviously because of Heechul’s eccentricity but they were not different from any other friends of mine probably because Hangeng had an influence on their behaviour as well. It surprised me that I had gained so many friends on such a short notice, really. Especially with them being almost on opposite sides of the balance. My thoughts were interrupted by the boys who came demanding me to play along. My complaints didn’t stop them, until I had an amazing idea.

“I’m not playing unless they’re playing.” I told the guys with a smiling, pointing at the other girls.

“What!?” Heechul responded shocked.

“Us?” Minji asked surprised. “Play?”

“Basket?” Mi Cha added.

“In these clothes?” Namin finished. I grinned and nodded making them smile back at me.

“Ah, why not?” they then chorused together. I chuckled.

“Great!” I then exclaimed, putting my arms around Minji’s and Namin’s shoulders. “Girls and Tae Woo against the other boys!” Tae Woo immediately agreed, but Kyuhyun started complaining.

“This is not fair! It should be girls against boys!” he protested, making me laugh.

“Afraid you will lose from us, Troll?” I teased, causing laughter to erupt from the others.

“Afraid? Of who? You? As if!” he huffed, before pointing a finger at Namin. “And you! Aren’t you supposed to be on my side?” he then complained. Namin tried to stop laughing, but failed miserably at it.

“I’m sorry, hon, buy if you’re funny, you’re funny, no matter what side I’m on. Besides, I told you this before.. Girls should stick together.” she said giggling.

We all laughed at Kyuhyun some more, before deciding that we would go for girls and Tae Woo against the other boys. While on our way to the basketball court, I pulled Namin apart from the others to be able to ask her something more privately. The moment I made sure no one could hear me, I turned to her.

“Kyuhyun is your boyfriend?” I asked. She gave me a surprised look.

“Yes, of course he is. We’ve been together for two years now.” she said, smiling brightly. Her smile faltered when she saw my face however. “You didn’t know? Have you never seen us kiss before?” she then asked surprised. I motioned her to keep her voice down a little, which she did as she continued. “Are you serious? That guy assaults me with kisses or perverted comments at all times, even when it’s not appropriate at all and you never noticed?” She stared at me in shock and even stopped walking as she did so. I chuckled apologetically.

“I’m not around you guys that much, you know.” I mumbled. “And when I am, we’re either playing basketball or I’m just bumping into you in school, so he’s not around often then. I really had no idea the two of you were together, actually..” I grinned slightly, trying to hide my feeling of guilt. I had never really paid much attention to the two of them. Well, I had talked to them separately of course and had not ignored them either, but as I was thinking back, they had indeed sat together often and closer than normal friends. I had just never noticed.

“Ah.. Well.. We are a couple, yes.” Namin finally said while nodding, before grabbing my arm and walking on. “Anyone else whose relationship you didn’t notice?” she then wondered. I stared.

“Are there others in a relationship?” I shrieked. She laughed at me.

“No there aren’t, don’t worry.” she said, patting my shoulder. “Although I do believe Mi Cha is having a thing for a guy, because I caught her dreamily staring ahead, but she never mentioned him before nor does she admit it when I ask her, so I’m not sure about that. And Minji is just drooling over every good-looking guy she passes. I doubt she’ll get caught by a single one anytime soon.” I took in all the new information, before nodding thoughtfully.

“I see. What about the boys?” I then asked.

“Are you serious, Jin?” she said, raising an eyebrow. I could only nod sheepishly, feeling a little ashamed for apparently not knowing anything at all about my friends. “Kyuhyun is together with me, obviously. Shindong doesn’t have a girlfriend as far as we know, but there have been several admirers before, so he might just get one soon. Tae Woo has been together with his girlfriend for six months now. Her name is Ga Eun. She’s from his hometown and they’re childhood friends. Hangeng broke up with his last girlfriend about a month before you came around and Heechul.. Well that’s Heechul. I don’t think anyone other than Hangeng can stand his behaviour long enough to discover the soft inner Heechul that one could possibly love.”

We looked at each other for a moment after she had said those words, before bursting out in laughter and quickly catching up with the rest. The boys gave us some weird stares as we entered the room where we’d leave our stuff, but didn’t ask any questions. The two other girls sometimes had moments of random laughter as well, so they knew good enough how it could be and didn’t even give us any weird looks. The boys just dumped their stuff and left again, but we girls stayed and talked a bit about this and that as the girls took off their jewellery. After another ten minutes time, we finally walked over to the basketball court.

“We’re so going to die.” Namin pointed out matter-of-factly. I huffed and started warming up my muscles on the way. All earlier tiredness seemed to have left me as the energy rushed through my body and spiked up my senses.

It was time to kick some arrogant male butts.

No comments:

Post a Comment