Tuesday 30 August 2011

[FIC] It's Complicated

Title: It's Complicated
Characters: Kibum, OC, SJ
Rating: PG
Chaptercount: 9/36
Summary: Soojin meets a guy who turns her world upside down but then there's a few dozen others as well.
A/N: This is one of my most beloved novels (not that I wrote THAT many, but still) and I think I will forever cherish the characters in this. This story also helped me shape my view on the different members and is the first of few stories in which I used first person.

- - - - -

A slightly awkward silence hung between Kibum and me at first, but as we stopped at the first red light, he turned to me and smiled. I could only smile back, feeling how my teary mood from before was already leaving me. Next up would be the overly happy and hyperactive mood that always followed after I got kind of depressed. I told myself that it was best that way, because I at least wouldn’t be sulking in a corner in the club, yet on the other hand I worried about my behaviour. We arrived at our destination after another ten minutes of driving.

When Kibum had parked the car, he quickly got out and walked around the front to open my door for me. I chuckled and took his hand as I got out, thinking the whole scene more of a romantic movie than reality. That idea left me completely, when he casually strolled away, leaving me to just go after him as to not lose the way. We entered the club and I looked around interestedly, noticing the relaxing look of the interior. There was music playing, but it wasn’t too loud and conversations could still be made without having to scream in the other’s ear. Kibum lead me to a stool at the bar and I looked around.

“So, we’ll meet N.. Jongsoo and Jungwoon here?” I asked after a moment of taking in my surroundings. Kibum chuckled at my words.
“Jongwoon and Jungsoo, yes.” he then said. I felt my face blush a little as I realised I had mixed up their names, but decided that that could happen to anyone.

“When are they coming?”

“Oh, they’re probably here somewhere already..”

I immediately let my eyes scan the room, searching for.. Yes, what was I searching for really? An orange chequered shirt? Flashy green suspenders? A black and white striped belt? Black, round, nerdy glasses? I expected them to at least wear something different to go out. Then again..one could never know for sure of course. I was still busy trying to find our two companions when movement from Kibum’s side made me look up at him. A girl had come up to us and was now hugging Kibum tightly.

“Hey Bummie.” she said, making me smile at the nickname. It reminded me of the nicknames he had given me so far. I couldn’t help but chuckle softly. Kibum hugged the girl back, mumbling a greeting to her as well and then turned around to me.

“Haerin, this is Soojin. Soojin, this is Haerin.” he introduced us. I looked at the girl and smiled politely, bowing my head as a form of greeting. She flashed a happy smile at me and reached out a hand towards me.

“Hey Soojin-ssi!” she exclaimed a little overactive as I shook her hand. “Jungsoo told me you were going to come along. It’s great to see another girl in our group. Eun Hee and I were starting to feel a little outnumbered.”

“Jungsoo?” I wondered out loud, which made Haerin turn to Kibum with a frown on her face.

“You didn’t even tell her about us, did you, Bummie?” she scoffed, hitting him lightly on his arm. “Someone should teach you some manners!” She went on playfully, scolding Kibum some more, and I couldn’t help but to laugh softly as I saw him nod at everything Haerin threw at him like a good little boy. In the end, Haerin turned her attention back to me and smiled happily, before starting to explain. “Jungsoo and I are together, you know a couple, and Eun Hee is Jongwoon’s sister. We’re the only ones keeping those two weirdoes in line, with the occasional help from our dear Kibum here. I say occasional because it basically never happens that he scolds his hyungs.”

I let my eyes glide to Kibum when she started talking about him again and he flashed me one of his innocent ‘I am cute and sweet and you would never harm me, would you?’-looks that made me melt a little inside, although there was nothing I was accusing him for. My eyes wandered back to Haerin as I planned on asking her something more about Jongwoon’s sister and herself, but some guy had put his arms around her middle and they were enveloped in a loving embrace, sharing a short kiss together. It was only when Kibum nudged me that I realised I was staring.

I found myself wondering why Haerin was kissing this guy. Was she cheating on Jungsoo? Did they have a relationship with three people together? My eyes scanned the outfit of the unknown guy. He wore a pair of branded black jeans with a white T-shirt on top. His dark blonde hair lay messy around his head, but from what I could see from the back, it was fashionably messy. His tanned arms coming out from the sleeves of his T-shirt showed a nice set of muscles, proof of at least a few hours a week spent in a fitness centre. When he turned around and smiled at me, I could see his dimpled cheeks and the cute crunched up face he made as he did so.

“Hey Soojin.” he greeted me happily, ruffling a hand through my hair so that it got all messed up. Not that I cared much, as I was too busy staring at this Adonis in human form. Right when I was about to stutter something back, a finger poked my left cheek and I turned to look in shock at whoever was intruding my personal space like that. My eyes met two slightly squinted brown ones and a happy smile was flashed my way that reminded me much of a little kid squealing in delight. I let my eyes scan over the second new guy as well.

He was wearing a comfortable-looking pair of dark blue jeans with a black tank top above. A rather expensive-looking black belt kept his jeans in place and an also black leather jacket was loosely hanging around his shoulders. My eyes darted from his outfit to his face, then to the first guy and eventually back to their outfit. The circle repeated itself a few times, before I turned to look at Kibum, who was showing me a relaxed grin. I turned my head back to the guy who was still hugging Haerin and finally managed to open my mouth.

“Jung..Soo?” I wondered. He flashed me a happy grin, before nudging the second guy in the side.

“See Woonie, I told you she’d recognise us!” he said happily. I stared, realising that my brain wasn’t fooling me and these really were Mr. Creep and Mr. Turtle that I had still called Nerdy and Nerdier not so long ago up till Kibum scolded me for it.

“Yah she did, but she took long enough, so you still owe me a hundred won.” the other, being Jongwoon, replied.

Just when I was about to agree with myself that they looked very handsome and not at all like the two nerds I had seen before, they shared one look before bursting out into their characteristic laughter and I realised that that miraculous sound was actually their real laughter. Nevertheless, I couldn’t help but admit to myself that Mister Creep and Mister Turtle had just turned into Mister Gorgeous and Mister Handsome. I turned to Kibum again, who only grinned innocently at me, without saying anything. I squinted my eyes and hit him on the shoulder.

“Yah! You!” I called out offended, before going on with the blaming. “You made me cry over nothing!” Before Kibum could reply, however, the other guys all turned to him.

“Kibum-ah! What am I hearing? You made her cry? Did you silence her into tears like that one girl who liked you in second grade?” Jungsoo exclaimed, whereas Jongwoon hit the back of his head, lecturing him that ‘he should be friendlier towards the nice girls.’ I saw it all happen with a big grin on my face, enjoying the slight scolding Kibum was getting and the obvious show of their close friendship.

“Let’s have a drink.” Haerin suddenly exclaimed, pulling her boyfriend closer to the bar with her. “What do you guys want?” She gave us an expectant look, making both Kibum and Jongwoon order ‘the usual.’ I quickly asked for a simple sprite, not really knowing how we were going to share the cost of the drinks, so I wanted to keep it not too expensive. I would ask Kibum about all that later, but first, I wanted to know how Nerdy and Nerdier had turned into Handsome and Handsomer. For that reason, I dragged my acquaintance of nineteen years to a more private corner.

To be at least a little social, I pulled Jongwoon along with us as well, but he simply sat down on a chair and stared out into the room with a rather blank look. I couldn’t help but stare at him for a while, however, taking in his new appearance with a slightly astounded feeling. His hair was also fashionably messy-looking and his rather subtly muscled chest was visible under his tank top. I found myself wondering why the two of them didn’t go to school dressed like this or how much effort they had done to dress as casual as they had now. At the same time I wondered if maybe their nerdy looks had been a joke and these were their normal outfits.

“Close your mouth or a fly will go in.” someone said, poking my side. I squealed in surprise and looked up at Kibum, who was happily grinning at me. I could only stare at him dumbfounded. He grinned and shook his head. “Will you stare at me like that as well when I show up in suspenders and nerdy glasses on Monday, because then I certainly will..” he told me, grinning widely. “Seriously, Jinnie, you should see your own face!” I felt a blush creep up my cheeks, but pretended to be offended by his words as I stuck my nose in the air. Yet moments later, I already scooted closer to him.

“Really, Kibum. How did they go from Nerdy and Nerdier to Gorgeous and Gorgeouser on such a short notice?” I asked, nodding in Jongwoon’s general direction. Kibum just looked at me for a while, before showing me a tired smile.

“Who says they weren’t always Gorgeous and Gorgeouser?” he then asked. The words were very simple, yet they also made sense and provoked the doubts I had earlier. I found myself accepting the option immediately and wanted to know more about their reasons for dressing up. Yet before I could ask anything, my sprite was put in front of me and a very happy Haerin grinned at me as I looked up.

“Soo Jin, this is Eun Hee.” she said, pointing at a girl next to her. I let my eyes wander over the girl who was apparently Yesung’s sister and smiled at her. She happily stepped closer to me and reached out her hand. I hesitated a moment before politely taking it. Something in the back of my mind reminded me of the fact that this group seemed to forget all about polite bowing and things like that. Not that I minded much..

“Hey unni!” Eun Hee said happily, showing me a bright smile that did kind of remind me of her brother. A little bit. She plopped down on Kibum’s lap and threw an arm around his shoulders. She then turned to her brother, giving him a kick under the table. “Yah! You! Coconut!” she exclaimed when he gave her a surprised look. “You made me come all the way here by bus. You could have at least given me a ride, you know. My feet would have been grateful!”

“You know how to drive yourself, don’t you?” Jongwoon replied uninterestedly. “I got a ride from Jungsoo myself, you could have taken the car.”

“The car was gone, babo!”

“What?” Jongwoon shot up from his chair and Jungsoo quickly took advantage of the situation to slip past him. Haerin followed close behind. “What are you talking about?” Jongwoon went on and right when the two had passed, he plopped back down on his chair, shaking his head in disbelief. “Damn that useless piece of a Hamster.” he muttered. I was about to ask how a hamster could steal a car, when yet again I was interrupted.

“Soosoo!” a voice boomed, making me look up in surprise.

No comments:

Post a Comment