Tuesday 30 August 2011

[FIC] It's Complicated

Title: It's Complicated
Characters: Kibum, OC, SJ
Rating: PG
Chaptercount: 29/36
Summary: Soojin meets a guy who turns her world upside down but then there's a few dozen others as well.
A/N: This is one of my most beloved novels (not that I wrote THAT many, but still) and I think I will forever cherish the characters in this. This story also helped me shape my view on the different members and is the first of few stories in which I used first person.

- - - - -

My boyfriend was rather surprised to have me calling him. Mainly because it was two in the morning and I was supposed to be either out with Heechul and Hangeng or at home and then I would have been able to chat with him online. He was slightly grumpy at first because I had apparently called him out of bed, but the moment he recognised my voice, he brightened up a bit. I smiled at no one in particular hearing his voice and stopped walking to lean against a lantern pole for a bit.

“I’m sorry if I woke you up, oppa.” I apologised, but he immediately discarded that saying it was okay and wondering if there was something wrong. I smiled even wider at the worry in his voice, but then my expression darkened when I remembered what exactly was wrong. “Well I don’t feel like going home right now, but I didn’t want to stay over at Hangeng’s either..” I explained, telling the truth but leaving out a lot of details. “Would you mind if I came over?” There was a short silence in which I feared my question seemed too much to him - it was, after all, the first time I would be in his house after 11 PM - but then he replied.

“Yeah, sure, if you’re okay with that, sure.” His repeated words made me chuckle softly and I could hear the smile in his words as he continued. “Do you need me to come and pick you up? Where are you right now anyway?” he asked. I could hear some rumbling on his side, as if he was getting up, so I was quick to decline his offer.

“I’m two blocks away from Hangeng’s place, but it’s okay, you don’t have to come pick me up. I’ll walk over there, don’t worry. It’s not that far, no need to get up for me. If you just leave the door open or something you can just as well go back to bed and I’ll settle on the couch, that’s no problem.” After my words there was a few seconds silence, before he laughed shortly.

“You’re so strange, Jinnie.” he then told me amusedly. “I’ll see you in twenty minutes.” Before I could ask him what he meant by that - it was after all at least forty minutes walking from where I was to Kibum’s apartment - he had hung up. I gave my phone a surprised look, before shrugging, closing it and putting it away. I then pushed myself from the lantern pole and started walking again.

About fifteen minutes later, Kibum’s car pulled over right next to me. By then I had only walked maybe a quarter of the road to his house. He motioned me to get in, which I did without a second thought. One glance at his outfit showed me that he at least didn’t come pick me up in his pyjamas that would be more of a Heechul thing to do anyway but had normal clothes on.

Once seated, I closed the door and then leaned in for a quick kiss which turned out to be a not so quick one, after which Kibum ran a hand through my hair and let his eyes scan my appearance. He didn’t say so, but I knew he was checking if everyone was alright with me, so I sent him a reassuring smile as I let my body relax into the seat. He smiled back, one of those composed smiles that made my heartbeat go in overdrive, before turning back to the road and driving off.

By car it took us only ten minutes to get to his place. At the door of the apartment, he told me to keep it down, because Zhou Mi was asleep already, but I didn’t really need his reminder, as I had figured out as much. We took off our shoes and then tiptoed through the living room and into his room, which was on the opposite side of the apartment as Zhou Mi’s room. He motioned me to sit down on his bed after closing the door, walking up to the wardrobe and opening it.

“Do you want one of my big T-shirts to sleep in?” he asked as he rummaged through the stuff. I nodded, but realised he couldn’t see that so I vocally confirmed it as well. Not that much later he pulled out a blanket and put that next to me on the bed, after which he rummaged a little more and then handed me a large black shirt. He then crouched down next to the bed and pulled a spare pillow from underneath. Even though he tried cleaning it, it still looked rather dusty, so he looked from the pillow at me and back. “If you want you can use my pillow and I’ll sleep on this.” he then offered, making me smile.

“I would like that, yes.” I replied, reaching out to take the pillow from the head end of his bed and pulling it against my chest. He chuckled.

“Okay. I’ll get a new pillowcase for it then.” he chuckled, but I quickly pressed the pillow even closer to my chest and avidly shook my head.

“No. I like it like this.” I protested, cradling the pillow in my arms as if it were something precious.

“Oh you do?” he replied, eyeing me amusedly. I nodded. “And why is that then?”

“Because now it still smells like you.” I mumbled, cherishing the fact that everything around me smelled like Kibum. The mocking expression on his face melted into a warm smile and he reached out a hand to me. When I took it, he easily helped me up from the bed, pulling me into his arms. I wrapped my arms around his middle, thereby squeezing the pillow in between us so that it wouldn’t fall to the ground, and leaned in for a kiss. He didn’t need to think as he closed the rest of the distance to kiss me, causing me to chuckle against his lips.

“I love you.” he mumbled to me, resting his forehead against mine and closing his eyes shortly. I pressed another short kiss on his lips before replying to that.

“You know.. I might not have said this often - only some five hundred times or so - but I love you too. I really do.” I replied with a smile, earning myself another kiss. I then rested my head on his shoulder and closed my eyes, savouring the moment. He softly stroked my back, but after a while it started tickling, so that’s when I slowly let go of him and took hold of the pillow again. The action earned me another smile from him and he gently poked my nose with his finger.

“You’re so silly.” he then told me, causing me to spontaneously blush a bright red, which made him laugh. “And cute.” he then added, running a thumb over my cheek. I captured his hand with my own and tugged him to the bed.

“That’s all very nice and sweet, but I believe I called you out of bed, so I would feel very bad if I would now also keep you up longer than needed. The couch is in the living room, I’ll change in the bathroom, so no need to stay up for me. Goodnight Bummie dear.” I told him, kind of forcing him to sit down. Of course that only worked because he let me.

“Can I have a goodnight kiss?” he pleaded, looking up with a sweet smile and a questioning expression that made me melt immediately.

“Another one? You already got five kisses!” I protested half-heartedly, causing him to pout and cross his arms in front of his chest.

“Five is so little. I should get at least five more.” he said, sulking a little. I laughed and leaned down to press a kiss on his nose.

“Fine then. That was one.” I told him, before giving a kiss on each cheek. “Two and three.” I then gave him a kiss on his forehead. “And four.” After that, I got up, grabbed the shirt and the blanket and walked towards the door.

“Hey, what about the fifth one?” Kibum protested from behind me. I stopped at the door and looked back.

“You’ll get that one when you’re nicely lying in bed under your blanket, and I’m changed.” I replied, giving him a bright smile before walking out of the room. I dumped the blanket and pillow on the couch, after which I tiptoed towards the bathroom. It was right next to Zhou Mi’s room, so I tried to change as silently as possible, splashing a little bit of water in my face and neck to get rid of the sticky feeling I had ever since Heechul had kissed me. Doing that brought back the memory, however, so I cringed in front of the mirror and proceeded to stare at my own face for at least five minutes, trying to see if it was noticeable that he had done so.

Of course I did not see anything bad, except for my own tired face and the huge bags under my eyes, so I sighed and left the bathroom, leaving my clothes nicely folded on top of the laundry basket. I snuck into Kibum’s room again, where I found the owner already in bed again, eyes closed and not moving at all except for his steady breathing. I walked over to the side of the bed as silently as possible and slowly leaned in, pressing a short kiss on his lips. He did not respond at all, making me realise how tired he must really have been to have fallen asleep so quickly again. I smiled slightly and then walked out of his room, whispering a quick ‘Goodnight’ when I was at the door and then leaving for my own improvised bed, where I soon fell asleep myself.

I woke up the next morning - well it was almost noon, but that’s just a minor detail - in a completely foreign room. Looking around, I felt like I faintly recognised the place but I couldn’t put my finger on it. I pushed the blanket off of me and swung my legs over the edge of the single bed, starting to feel a little uncomfortable with the unknown surroundings. As I got up, however, I suddenly noticed a picture on the night table and I almost sighed in relief when I recognised Zhou Mi on it with two people I guessed were his parents.

Realising that I was in Zhou Mi’s room still didn’t make things any less strange, though, as I had no idea how or why I had gone there. For that reason, I got up from the bed and walked out of the room. In the living room, I was greeted with the sight of a completely empty room. Frowning over this, I walked on to the kitchen. There I finally found some life, a happily scurrying Zhou Mi who was obviously busy with preparing lunch. When he noticed me he smiled brightly.

“Good morning sunshine. Are you having lunch with us or should I only cook for two?” he asked me, stroking the silky, reddish hair out of his eyes and focusing back on his pans again. I chuckled.

“You can cook for only two. That’ll still be enough for me to eat along as well.” I told him with a smile, walking over to the fridge to pull out the carton of orange juice. Before I could even walk to the right cupboard, Zhou Mi had already handed me a glass, so I could easily pour myself some juice. “How did I..?” I started asking, looking up at him, but he interrupted me.

“End up in my room? Well, when I woke up at seven I found this unexpected visitor in the couch, which kind of surprised me. This person was still soundly asleep and so was her dearly beloved boyfriend, however, so in order not to wake her up with all my running around in the kitchen and the living room I picked her up and put her in my own bed.” he told me with this dramatic cinema-trailer kind of voice, meanwhile still focusing on his cooking. He then looked up at me and grinned. “I hope you don’t mind. You didn’t respond at all when I tried waking you, so I figured I’d just carry you over to my newly-made bed that is so much more comfortable than the couch.”

“Of course I don’t mind. I slept wonderfully. Thanks for letting me borrow your bed.” I replied, laughing softly. Meanwhile I put the juice back in the fridge, after which I took another sip from my glass. “Where is Kibum, though? Don’t tell me he’s still asleep as well, because that would be like the shock of the century.” I nodded as to give my words more power. Right at that moment, however, two arms were slipped around my middle and said person rested his chin on my shoulder.

“I’m here, Jinnie.” the most beautiful voice in the world sounded next to my ear. Yes, that’s very cliché, so what? It’s also very true. I smiled and turned my head a little to look at him, which earned me a kiss on my cheek and the chance to smell his freshly washed skin and his lemon-scented shower gel. I turned around in his arms and stole a kiss from his lips, which made him smile. I took in the sight of my boyfriend clad in only a comfortable looking jeans and his hair still half wet, and smiled brightly.

“You look good today.” I told him. He grinned and ruffled my hair.

“You look sleepy today. Or better you look like you only just woke up.” he replied, before cocking his head to the side. “Oh.. What a coincidence.. You DID just wake up!” he then exclaimed in mock surprise, making me swat his shoulder.

“You’re so evil to me this early in the morning.” I complained, pulling away from his grip and walking to Zhou Mi to sulk a little to him. Kibum laughed.

“It’s almost noon, you should not complain so much. You called me out of bed at three in the morning, so I feel like I deserve to annoy you at least this tad bit.” he then retorted, making me sputter in search for a reply, but eventually I gave up and sighed.

“Fine. You win. I’m going to get dressed.” I resigned, my shoulder slumping. Mere moments later I was all happy and myself again, though, sending them both a bright smile. “Is it okay if I take a quick shower?” The both of them chuckled and nodded their heads almost in sync, making me giggle and set off skipping to the bathroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment