Tuesday 30 August 2011

[FIC] It's Complicated

Title: It's Complicated
Characters: Kibum, OC, SJ
Rating: PG
Chaptercount: 35/36
Summary: Soojin meets a guy who turns her world upside down but then there's a few dozen others as well.
A/N: This is one of my most beloved novels (not that I wrote THAT many, but still) and I think I will forever cherish the characters in this. This story also helped me shape my view on the different members and is the first of few stories in which I used first person.

- - - - -

I tensed up,having no way out of his grip, because right in front of me was the door and behind me there was him. Sighing slightly, I put my hands on his and tried to pry his arms from around me. Now Heechul isn’t the world’s strongest guy out there, but he apparently wasn’t that weak either, because despite my tugging at his arms, he didn’t even budge.

“Snipe..” he said softly. “Relax..” And for some reason I did, letting myself lean against him and closing my eyes with a deep, deep sigh. He smiled, resting his chin on my head. “Now..” he then continued. “First of all I’m sorry for kissing you. If I could do things over, I’d probably do it again, just a lot sooner. I know it wasn’t exactly good timing now, so I’m sorry. I never wanted to make you this unhappy.”

I let out a breath I didn’t realise I had been holding and he tightened his embrace around me for a moment. “Secondly..” he then started, but I didn’t let him continue that sentence.

“Heechul..” I instead mumbled, not able to make my voice much stronger than that. I had another try at getting loose, and that time he did budge, letting go of me and taking a step back so I could turn around to look at him. “You should have started with the second thing, because nothing you’re going to say now can outshine an apology from Kim Heechul.” I joked, a soft smile on my face as I sidestepped him and walked up to my desk, where I sat down on the chair. His laughter boomed through my room and he walked up to me again to ruffle my hair. I gave him a slight smile.

“Well, Snipey, sorry to disappoint, but I’m going to tell you anyway.” he grinned, before his face turned serious and he added rather solemnly: “Secondly, no matter how much I want to keep you for myself like this, I’ll make things right again between you two, even if I have to grab Kibum’s collar and stuff his face against yours. And believe me, if it doesn’t work any other way, I WILL do that.” I felt a soft blush appear on my face as I looked at him, knowing he meant every word he said. His words made me feel all protected and somehow safe, like having his word for that assured me it would happen. I cleared my throat before being able to answer.

“I take back what I said. Your apology was outshone.” I muttered. His grins was wide and happy as he ruffled my hair once more before walking to my bed and taking a seat there. We sat like that, just looking at each other for a while, until I finally sighed. “I forgive you.” I then said. “But only because I want to enjoy your sister’s cooking for a long, long time still after today.”

He laughed again, the sound bringing a smile on my own face as well and causing me to sit up a little. That evening, he stayed until it was long past normal bedtime, not caring that we both had important exams coming up. At around midnight, we moved downstairs to hog the television, earning surprised looks from my parents. I didn’t care, not even when I realised I’d have to undergo a crossfire of questions the moment Heechul went home.

By the time he did, it was close to three in the morning and I said goodbye to him with a hug, something we didn’t really do usually. He didn’t mention it, however, giving me a smile and ruffling my hair once more as he left. I watched him get into the car and drive away, after which I closed the door with a sigh, turning around to the expectant faces of both my parents and Yumiko - Zhou Mi had long left by then.

I told them about my day that evening, then went ahead and told them about everything that had happened before. They were shocked to hear about Heechul and Donghae kissing me - Yumiko not as much because she had heard about it before, albeit not as detailed - and even though they had expected it already, they were also surprised hearing about Kibum kind-of-but-not-completely breaking up with me. By the time I had finally spilled the contents of my heart, it was 4 AM.

Somehow that day changed my lifestyle again. The next morning brought a lot of stuying to keep up with my studying schedule and it took me well over ten hours to cram all the Japanese I had to learn into my head. Strangely enough it went well, easier than all the things I had already done before. The next day, my Japanese exam was probably one of my best, which others later ‘blamed’ on the fact that I had a Japanese exchange student to practice with. Yumiko and I knew better - we conversed mostly in Korean.

Throughout the rest of my exams - some week and a half of them was left - I slowly merged myself among my friends again. It started with Jongwoon - who had seen me at Heechul’s place and thereby knew I was talking to people again - walking up to me when we happened to be at school together after my Japanese exam. He took Nana along and, upon noticing I was actually talking back, she immediately invited me to get out for a drink. I could do nothing else but agree, feeling slightly sorry towards my friends for having ignored them for so long.

When I showed up the next Friday in the café she told me to be, I found her sitting there with both Minji, Mi Cha and, to my big surprise, Haerin, Eunhee and Sanghee as well. The moment they saw me, I was drowned in hugs, happy waves, smiles and lots of greetings. After squishing me, they all took their seats again and I was pulled along to cosily sit in between Haerin and Nana, who barely had the patience to wait until my drink arrived before they assaulted me with questions - Where I had been, why I suddenly disappeared, and other stuff like that. I let all their questions rain down on me, preparing my explanation in my mind as I did so. When they finally stopped talking, I took a deep breath.

“I’m sorry for disappearing on you guys. I had some reasons, though, however futile they might be. You see, I was together with Kibum..” My words were interrupted by squeals from all sides but Sanghee’s. The girls exclaimed things like ‘You and Kibum look so cute together!’ , ‘I thought you and Heechul had something going on?’ , ‘How come we never noticed?’ and a rather bright Haerin put her hand on my leg and stated; ‘”You were? He broke up with you?” I sighed and nodded, which caused the squeals to turn into sounds of sad sympathy and Nana wrapped her arms around me in a comforting gesture.

“So yeah..” I continued with a sad smile, trying to remember my good day with Heechul to stay happy. “..I’m sorry for suddenly disappearing on you, but I needed time for myself. Honestly, if Heechul had not dragged me out of my house, I would still have been inside there playing computer games right now.” I fumbled with a napkin, then took a sip of my drink.

“Why did he break up with you?” Mi Cha softly asked, sounding slightly worried. I sighed, frowned, tried to think of a good way to say it and in the end decided to stay vague.

“It’s hard to talk about it, but it was completely my own doing. He had reasons to and I can’t blame him for doing so.” I sighed, massaging my temples to relieve the stress in my head. There were again arms hugging me and I smiled because of the touch, but I pulled free from the grip and sat up. “It’s okay. I’ll live.” I mumbled, taking another sip from my drink and controlling my emotions again. “So what happened to you guys in the meantime?” I then asked.

Once again, the question helped with clearing the atmosphere as they all set off in a gathered briefing of the few weeks I had missed. Apparently I had missed the time of my life seeing Kyuhyun and Donghae dance the three bears song on Jungsoo and Haerin’s one year anniversary. That was kind of disappointing me, honestly, but Eunhee grinned widely and told me she had filmed it so not everything was lost to me. I smiled, but then apologised to Haerin for missing her one year anniversary. She waved me away, saying that I needn’t worry about it and the conversation continued.

I spent a nice Friday evening with the girls before going home. The next day, when I went to wake up Sanghee before Heechul arrived - her parents turned out to be very nice people, letting me in almost immediately - she easily convinced me to go play basketball with the others. So my Saturday was spent playing ball, getting patted on the back by the guys and being squished in a hug by Heechul when we won. That last one was enough to make me speechless for a good ten minutes, while everyone in my group told me they had missed me or mostly winning because of me. I was not used to Heechul’s touchiness and it was rather strange experiencing his closeness, especially when everyone else also seemed to eye it in surprise.

My uncomfortable feeling grew even more when the girls started asking me if Heechul and I were together now, so I took him apart on a free moment to ask him about it. He simply smiled at me and told me that he was using the opportunity while it was still there, because the moment Kibum and I got back together he probably couldn’t do it anymore. That was the second time he rendered me speechless since we started talking again and I felt that it had been a good thing for him to almost kick in my door, because I would have lost a good friend by ignoring him any longer.

After the basketball we all went home respectively, but Heechul convinced me to go out with the group a few hours later after having showered and all that. I agreed after throwing some comments at his head about the last time I did that and not wanting to have any of the events repeated this time. He flashed me his signature grin, ruffled my hair and told me not to worry, because he had learned his lesson. I huffed, yet had to admit that that might just be some very true words.

So that evening I went out again for the first time in weeks and I soon forgot about all bad things when Hangeng pulled me out onto the dancefloor. We almost literally danced the night away, the beat of the music chasing all thoughts out of my head while I let free all my emotions through dancing - or more moving my body to the constant beat of the music, because my dancing couldn’t really be called real dancing - and Hangeng showed off some real dancing skills, meanwhile also keeping the annoying boys away from me.

I went home at five in the morning. It took the whole of my Monday to catch up on studying, because that Sunday I was invited over at Youngwoon’s again, together with my father and mother. After that, my schedule changed and I had a rather hard time studying enough with the amounts of invites I got from friends and couldn’t refuse. Yet somehow I managed. I even managed to get good grades or at least not bad ones for all my exams and successfully passed on to the next year. So did all my friends, although some of them took a few bad grades on to the next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment