Tuesday 30 August 2011

[FIC] It's Complicated

Title: It's Complicated
Characters: Kibum, OC, SJ
Rating: PG
Chaptercount: 17/36
Summary: Soojin meets a guy who turns her world upside down but then there's a few dozen others as well.
A/N: This is one of my most beloved novels (not that I wrote THAT many, but still) and I think I will forever cherish the characters in this. This story also helped me shape my view on the different members and is the first of few stories in which I used first person.

- - - - -

About ten minutes after getting in, I was nicely dropped off on my bed. The moment my head touched the pillow, I allowed myself to grunt in pain, hiding my face against the fabric and screaming in rage for a moment, almost giving Kibum a heart attack or so he claimed later on. When I had done that, I turned to him again and tried for a smile. It probably looked more like a grimace to him, though.

“Thanks for taking me home, Bummie.” I mumbled, patting his lower arm. “I’m sorry if you had to miss the end of the movie because of me. You should have let Heechul bring me home. He’s probably already illegally downloading this movie despite the fact that he has more than enough money to buy it five hundred times in 3D version.” Kibum chuckled at those words.

“Heechul hyung? Take you home? He’d have taken you to his own house and then kept you hostage there until you were completely, a two hundred percent healthy.” he said. I grimaced again.

“True. Well anyway, thanks and have a safe trip home. I’d walk you to the door, but that would beat the whole purpose of you carrying me up here.” I then said.

“What do you mean walk me to the door? You’re sick!”

“I know, that’s wh-”

“I’m not going anywhere until either one of your parents is back.” he stated.

“What the!?” I croaked hoarsely with a dying voice exclaimed. Doing that made my head start throbbing again, however, so I fell back on the bed and groaned. “It hurts like shit! Ugh! I hate this fucking headache!” I cursed.

“I see that hasn’t changed yet either.”

“What hasn’t?”

“You cursing when you’re in pain.” I rolled my eyes at him.

“Oh God. Please, if you must annoy me then simply send Heechul. Please don’t corrupt this pure, innocent boy with first class annoyingness.” I sighed, making Kibum chuckle.

“I’m glad you think me pure and innocent.” he told me, before walking to the door. “I’ll go grab a towel and a bucket with water to cool your head a little. Try to rest some.” He paused and looked back as he reached the door.

“Kibum, what are you talking about? You don’t eve-”

“Jinnie, just shush. You’re sick, you’re supposed to be silently suffering and quickly falling asleep so that I can take care of you unnoticed.” He laughed a little as he said the words, but I could also see the sincerity in them. After speaking, however, he simply walked out. I stared at the door and tried to grasp what had just happened, but after a moment or two, I realised that he was right. I was indeed sick and I did need rest, so I put my head down again and dozed off about a minute later.

I woke out of my slumber after some time to see Kibum, softly dapping my forehead with something cooling and nice. I closed my eyes for a moment, but it didn’t take long before I really fell asleep.

The next time I woke up he was still there and I frowned upon seeing him. When he turned back to me and saw that my eyes were open, he smiled, yet he simply continued his movement and dapped my forehead again with the towel. I couldn’t say that it wasn’t helping, but I felt rather uncomfortable having him taking care of me like that. For that reason, I tried to sit up, but he immediately pushed me back down by my shoulder the moment he noticed what I tried to do.

“Oh no you don’t.” he said, smiling lightly. “Just rest until you feel better. I’m only keeping your head cool to reduce the fever a little.” I sighed, but complied anyway, because I felt too dull to actually try and go against him. He smiled before continuing. “I gave Heechul a call to tell him you were alright, but resting and that you won’t be playing basketball tomorrow.”

“What? But..”

“There’s a girl coming over to live here and she’s arriving on Monday. You don’t want to be all sweaty and bedridden when she arrives, do you?” he interrupted me and I could only agree on that one. I sighed again, rolling my eyes at him. He grinned. “You know you love me, Jinnie.” he then said. I rolled my eyes again. He was starting to sound more and more like Heechul. Their friendship really wasn’t good for me. I put my head down again and closed my eyes. It didn’t take long for sleep to overtake me.

That night I woke up a few more times, but the first few times, I wasn’t able to open my eyes, and when I finally did, Kibum was already gone. He left me a cute note saying that he couldn’t stay because he had promised me he wasn’t going to crash at my place and that he had therefore left when my parents arrived home. He also didn’t fail to mention that my mother had been very nice to him and that she had offered him the guest room, but that he had politely declined. He wished for me to get better soon and hoped to see me in school on Monday.

I felt strangely relieved to know that he hadn’t stayed over, so when I woke up in the morning, I got up slowly and walked out of my room. My stomach felt upset, yet at the same time I knew I had to eat something or things weren’t going to turn out well. For that reason I slowly staggered down the stairs and entered the kitchen, only to stop dead in my tracks when I saw the people in the living room through the connecting door of the kitchen. I frowned, closed my eyes a moment and then sighed.

“What are you doing here?” I asked, sounding more annoyed than I actually felt. Two pairs of eyes immediately focused on me and my mother smiled happily.

“Oh you’re up.” she said. “Your friend wondered if you were alright and came to visit. I told him you weren’t up yet, but he insisted on waiting so I offered him some tea. Are you feeling better today?” I merely nodded, not averting my eyes from the other person.

“You sure?” Heechul asked, getting up and walking towards me. He felt my forehead and leaned in to give my eyes a closer look. I immediately backed away when he did so, pulling free from his hands as well. He frowned over my actions, but shrugged after. “You were quite bad yesterday evening and I was worrying about you, so I decided to stop by and see if I could help with anything.” he explained, not attempting to touch me anymore. I relaxed a little because of that.

“What would you be able to do?” I mumbled annoyed, turning away and walking back up the stairs. I called a ‘Good morning, mom.’ over my shoulder as to make sure she didn’t feel neglected and dashed back into my room, forgetting all about my hunger. I didn’t feel like having Heechul around on a morning where I didn’t feel as well. His constant snarky remarks and his arrogant attitude would certainly drive me up the walls. Yet by the time I reached my bedroom door, he was already at my side again. I tried to ignore him as I plopped down on my bed, but he handed me a banana.

“You should eat something. If you can keep it in then you’ll be fine. I’m guessing you feeling so sick was probably just a combination of sleeping too little and doing too much.” he said, not even caring that I was giving the banana only one deadly glare, before completely ignoring it and him again. I wasn’t even thinking of taking the food from him, even though my stomach was already giving my hunger away by growling. Heechul merely shrugged and started peeling the banana. When he was done, he reached it out to me. “You should eat something.” he repeated, and that’s where my annoyance reached its height.

“Oh shut up, Heechul!” I exploded. “All I ever get from you is scolding and complaining; you drag me out of my house without letting me eat, you keep me up late telling me to game with you, you drag me from A to B without even caring if I can follow or not, and now suddenly you’d be the one who knows best? Seriously, I don’t even know where you find the assurance that it’s fine to treat someone like this, but let me tell you; it isn’t. Now if you could please step out of my room and go to hell, I’d really appreciate it.”

I pushed his hand with the banana away from him with such force that the piece of fruit slipped out of his fingers and fell on my bed. Heechul calmly picked it up again and put it in my hand, before getting up and walking towards the door. He had only taken two steps before guilt had already caught up with me. I shouldn’t be complaining to him when he came to see if I was alright. That was a sign of friendship right? He was for once being a sweetheart and I was being the bitch this time. I sighed.

“Heechul..” I started, but I stopped again when he lifted his hand. He turned around and looked at me for a moment, scanning my face and then coming to a stop on the banana that I was still holding.

“You should eat something.” he repeated for the third time in under ten minutes. “If you can keep it in then you’ll be fine.” He then turned around again. I gave the banana one look and frowned, turning back to him without even thinking about eating it.

“Why do you sound like you know all about that?” I asked him, frowning even more. He stopped again at the door and looked back at me with one of his amused smiles.

“Did you never wonder exactly what I’m studying, Snipe?” he asked me, cocking his head a little to the left.

“Err.. Not really, no. I guess I always assumed you were going for a spot in the council of The Arrogant Asses.” I replied, smiling despite the insulting meaning of my words. He grinned slightly.

“I’m a Medicine major.” he then said, giving a nod at the fruit in my hand. “Now eat up or I’ll make sure your mother knows what to do.” He gave me a short wink and then disappeared from my sight. Moments later I could hear him walking down the stairs and after having a short exchange of words with my mother, he left the house. All that time, I was still staring at the door. When I finally snapped out of my trance, my eyes automatically went to the banana. Deciding that I could just as well oblige to his words, I took my first bite, immediately realising how hungry I really was.

When I had finished the banana, I immediately went downstairs again to get something else to eat, as my stomach was still not satisfied. Since Heechul had thought a banana something safe to eat for me, I decided to trust his knowledge of sicknesses, so I grabbed another one, walking into the living room as I peeled it. Once there, I took a spot next to my mother and silently watched TV with her. She meanwhile knew better than to try and talk to me when I was not feeling too well.

I spent the rest of my Saturday behind the TV, going to bed early as to regain more energy. On Sunday I already felt a little better again, but I decided that I would not be doing anything either, so I opened my game and played for the rest of the day, catching up a little for the lost time that I had spent on playing basketball and going out. By the end of the day, I had secured my first rank again and had neatly killed off about a thousand people. I went to bed with an accomplished feeling, strangely looking forward to meeting the Japanese girl the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment