Tuesday 30 August 2011

[FIC] It's Complicated

Title: It's Complicated
Characters: Kibum, OC, SJ
Rating: PG
Chaptercount: 16/36
Summary: Soojin meets a guy who turns her world upside down but then there's a few dozen others as well.
A/N: This is one of my most beloved novels (not that I wrote THAT many, but still) and I think I will forever cherish the characters in this. This story also helped me shape my view on the different members and is the first of few stories in which I used first person.

- - - - -

The rest of the week passed by as usual and soon it was Friday evening, time to go to the movies. I had told my mother about the plans beforehand and she had shrieked, smiled and clapped her hands in delight, before digging out the whole of her and my own wardrobe to find a nice pair of jeans. It felt like my first time going out drinking with Kibum and the others all over again, but I didn’t complain and just let her do her thing, for I knew that that was the easiest way to escape her antics.

At seven that evening, Heechul arrived at my door and my mother swooned, flailed and almost hyperventilated when she saw him. I could do nothing but stare either when I saw him, for he had gotten a haircut and his hair had been dyed blonde. I have to admit that my breath hitched when I saw him and I was stopped dead in my tracks in the middle of the stairs, but he smiled his arrogant smile at me and lifted a hand to wave. There was so much of the old Heechul in that move that I could regain enough of myself to continue down to the door. I kissed my mother goodbye before walking out myself.

It was only when outside that I noticed Hangeng leaning against the car and I immediately smiled, waved and rushed towards him to say hi, because he at least still had his normal haircut. My actions brought a huff from Heechul as he paced towards the driver’s side.

“Doesn’t even say hello to me, but Hangeng immediately gets a hug of course.” I heard him mutter, making me chuckle.

“Yah, Chullie!” I called. He looked up at me, hand on the door, ready to open it and get in. I dashed around the car to get to him and stopped beside him. With a smile I ruffled his hair. “It looks good. You should keep it.” I said, before leaning in and pecking him on the cheek. “Hello Chullie. Thanks for coming to get me.” I then told him, before walking passed him and getting in the backseat of the car. Both brothers stared at each other with shocked expressions and I chuckled as they needed a few seconds to regain themselves and get in as well.

At half past seven we arrived safe and sound at the cinema, but a headache was beginning to form and I strangely felt nauseas from the ride. I normally didn’t get sick in cars, but decided to ignore the feeling, for it would pass anyway. As we walked in, we found Tae Woo and Ga Eun already there and Jungsoo and Haerin arriving moments after us. I greeted the familiar girl with a hug and shook hands with the rather shy Ga eun. I had to admit that she and Tae Woo looked good together, especially when he wrapped an arm around her middle and she seemed to relax at his touch.

Five minutes later, the rest of Heechul’s group arrived as well. Jongwoon, Kibum and Eun Hee arrived last, quickly explaining that ‘the Hamster’ had taken Jongwoon’s car again and that he had had to call Kibum, who had already been halfway and had returned to fetch the both of them at their place. They then commented on Heechul’s hair and a discussion about how good he looked with it and what a nice decision it had been of him to have his hair coloured. After that we all said hi to each other, those that didn’t know the others were politely introduced. Ga Eun was all shy smiles and polite bows, but Haerin and Eun Hee just went around shaking hands and grinning at people. The youngest of us all then surprised everyone by running up to Heechul and Hangeng and giving them both a big hug, before hitting them on the arm.

“Yah, you two! You have lots of making up to do!” she scolded them, making Hangeng grin and Heechul scowl. “Just leaving my brother and me like that! You have three years worth of ice cream to buy for me, you hear that!?” She then smiled happily and hugged them again. “But it’s nice to see you again, oppas!” I laughed and so did basically everyone else expect for Heechul, who still frowned, and Ga Eun, who didn’t know if Eun Hee was serious or joking.

“Yah, you little brat! Show some respect to your oppa! That’s two years of ice cream gone from my debt!” he exclaimed, giving her a failed angry look, before turning away. She stuck out her tongue at his back, but he lifted a hand. “I saw that, that’s another two years! So now you have to pay me ice cream!”

“What!? Oppa! You can’t do this!” she complained.

“Of course I can. I’m doing it now, am I not?” he shrugged.

“Ah Chullie, give her a break. At least she calls you oppa.” I interrupted, which caused Hangeng to grin when he remembered our conversation when his sister was around. “Come on, people, let’s go pick a movie or we might just be too late.” I then continued, walking away with whoever followed.

I stopped at the posters that showed the movies they were playing and scanned over them with my eyes, to see if there was anything good. Not long after, everyone else was looking as well, scanning all the movies and commenting on the genres. In the end, they decided to go and watch some horror movie because they liked the idea of slaughtering zombies. I merely followed.

They crowded the candy and popcorn store to buy themselves a month’s worth of popcorn and soda. I politely refused anything, the smell of food on its own already enough to make me realise I was not hungry at all, so I walked out before they had paid. The first one to join me again was Haerin, who told me I looked rather pale. I smiled and made a joke out of it by saying that my mother had been keeping me from sleeping by nagging about the exchange students. She laughed and let it rest.

Once everyone had gotten out of the store - popcorn, chips, candy and drinks in hand - we set off to buy tickets. Well, more like I set off to buy tickets, because I was the only one with empty hands. Why they didn’t buy tickets first and then went emptying half the store, I don’t know either. I had learned not to question the Heechul logic, because there was no explanation behind it that made sense. I have by now learned to just accept whatever he says, because he always thinks it’s perfectly logical, even when it isn’t at all to normal human beings.

The moment I had our tickets, we set for the movie theatre and quickly took about the whole back row with the fifteen of us. I was seated between Heechul and Jungsoo with next to them respectively Jongwoon and Haerin. We had basically just flopped down the way we had walked in, the only rearrangement being to put Jongwoon and Heechul next to each other since they were, after all, the ones who should have been celebrating their recovered friendship.

We were about halfway through the movie when my headache increased and when I realised that the nauseas feeling didn’t come from the car ride alone, because it was still there. We had seen three fourth of the movie, and zombies were in the middle of being brutally and bloodily slaughtered, when I knew I had to get out, because my pounding head was getting too much. So I quickly got up and rushed past my friends, towards the exit, fleeing to the toilets as fast as I could. Once there I splashed my face with water and rested my painful head against the cold mirror in hopes of calming the headache down a little.

“Well, well, look what we have here.” an all too familiar voice said slightly amused. “You’re not going to tell me that you’re scared of a little blood and goo, right, Snipe? Killing people all day long is fine, but a few dying zombies make you freak out? That’s rather weak, you know.” I sighed and opened my mouth to reply, but merely seconds later I had fled to one of the toilets, reaching it right in time to throw up. I was lucky the lid was up.

I expected more sneering, but instead I faintly registered a hand soothingly rubbing my back and another brushing my hair out of my face. No more words were said as I hung over the toilet and puked my guts out. I heard how he grabbed something from my left, but couldn’t look. When my upset stomach seemed satisfied, I flushed the toilet. Again the pair of hands helped me up my feet and slowly turned me around. Heechul’s worried face came in sight. He felt my forehead, frowned and gave my eyes a closer look.

“You’re sick.” he concluded. “Probably getting down with a flu, possibly a stomach flu.” I could only stare back, not even registering what he was telling me. He pulled me into the hallway, where something was pressed into my hands. “If you need to puke, do it in there. I’m going to tell the others that I’m taking you home.” He disappeared into the theatre again before I could say anything and I was left leaning against the wall, a bag in hand that was normally used by women to put their sanitary towels in. In any other mood I would probably have laughed at the situation, but at that time I was too dull for that. Instead, I just slid down against the wall until I was seated on the ground.

Time passed as everything went by in a haze. My head hurt, my legs were starting to tremble and my eyesight started to get blurry at times, but he didn’t return. I closed my eyes for a second as I rested my head against the wall behind me. I don’t really know how long I sat there, when suddenly there were sounds coming from the door to my right and footsteps approaching me. I wanted to open my eyes, but found that I didn’t have the strength to do so. Again there were hands helping me up and a soft voice spoke to me.

“Jinnie?” it sounded and if the nickname hadn’t given it away, the voice itself also convinced me of the fact that it was Kibum. It took me a while to open my eyes, but when I did, I blinked a few times and gave him another look.

“Where is Heechul?” I asked dazed. Kibum smiled at me.

“I told him to stay since it’s his celebration. I’ll take you home instead, that’s what I promised, right?” he replied. “Besides, I think your mother knows me best.” I frowned when I realised what he was saying.

“What about Jongwoon and Eun Hee?” I asked, worrying that I might be taking away their only way to get home, since they had come together with Kibum.

“Jungsoo is giving them a ride home.” was the calm answer, before he gathered up both our jackets and my purse, and put an arm around my middle to support me. “Let’s get you to your bed. Come on.”

He slowly lead me to the stairs and we went down at turtle speed, just so that I would be alright. By the time we got down, however, I was basically hanging on Kibum and his arm around me was the only thing keeping me from slumping down on the ground. I nearly fell down the last step as everything was spinning around me. It took Kibum two more steps to notice that as well, and when he did, he stopped, let go and crouched down in front of me.

“Get on.” he told me calmly, without looking back. I stared at his crouched form confusedly.

“What?”

“Get on. You’re leaning on me anyway, so I can just as well carry you, right? You won’t make it to the car by yourself.” he replied, still not turning his head to look at me. “Just hold on to that bag, I’d rather not have you puking in my neck.” I wanted to protest, but when I started shaking my head, everything started spinning again and I nearly fell, so I climbed on his back, grabbing the bag tightly and letting my arms dangle loosely around his neck. I can’t remember if we got to the car safely or not, because I passed out before he took three steps, but I guess we did since I’m still in one piece right now.

I got back to my senses when a hand lightly shook my shoulder. A little confused I looked up to see Kibum looking at me worriedly.

“Your mother isn’t home, nor is your father, so I can’t get in.” he told me. I immediately started searching for my purse. When I caught hold of a lid, I pulled it towards me and neatly picked the key out from where I always put it. By then, however, the headache had caught up with me, so when I gave the key to Kibum, I closed my eyes.

“I’ll just stay in your car.” I mumbled, ready to pass back out, but his voice stopped me.

“Oh no you don’t. your bed has been missing you terribly, so you can at least say hi. Now climb on my back again because I am not going to carry you bridal style.” he told me, already slowly pushing and pulling so that I’d get out. I obliged, although not all too willingly, and got on his back again. He then struggled to close the car door, lock it and keep me on his back before bringing me to the front door. I showed him the right key and we managed to get in safe and sound.

No comments:

Post a Comment