Tuesday 30 August 2011

[FIC] It's Complicated

Title: It's Complicated
Characters: Kibum, OC, SJ
Rating: PG
Chaptercount: 27/36
Summary: Soojin meets a guy who turns her world upside down but then there's a few dozen others as well.
A/N: This is one of my most beloved novels (not that I wrote THAT many, but still) and I think I will forever cherish the characters in this. This story also helped me shape my view on the different members and is the first of few stories in which I used first person.

- - - - -

It was only when we all lay defeated on the ground about half an hour later, trying to recover from a lack of air, that the war ended. Zhou Mi happily sat down next to us, grinning amusedly and shaking his head over out pathetic states. I turned my head a little to look at him, noticing how everyone was sprawled around me, all basically lying half on top of each other. Yumiko’s upper body rested on Sungmin’s legs, Sung Yeon was completely lying on top of Siwon and Donghae’s head rested on Ryeowook’s left leg. We were much like a bunch of exhausted limbs thrown on a heap.

“That was the coolest soccer practice I have ever seen you guys have.” Zhou Mi then said jokingly, causing Siwon to throw some grass at him out of a lack of better ammunition. I, however, lifted my head from Hyukjae’s stomach a little and then raised my hand to high five Zhou Mi. The impact of his hand on mine caused me to drop my arm again, though, my hand falling on Ryeowook’s chest. He grunted in ‘pain.’

“I’m sorry.” I immediately mumbled my apology, but he didn’t even look up as he replied.

“You know my nose is here.” he told me, pointing at said part of his face. “Your aim sucks.” I chuckled, but was too lazy to hit him again for the insult.

“Well I’m sorry for not being able to cause you any lethal damage.” I therefore replied, laying my head back down on Hyukjae’s chest. “If you want me to hit your nose so badly, then give me a basket ball.” I turned my face away from Ryeowook, which caused me to look at Hyukjae. He lifted his head a little to be able to see my face as well.

“Are you lying fine down there on my stomach?” he asked amused, making me stick out my tongue at him.

“Meanie.” I pouted.

“Says she who threw a ball at my head.” he retorted. I frowned before protesting.

“I had good reason to!”

“Oh yeah?” The disbelief was obvious in his voice, so I quickly replied.

“Yeah!” There was a moment of silence after that word before I went on. “I don’t know what that reason was anymore, but I did have it!” My explanation caused him to laugh, so I huffed, got up a little, crawled towards Donghae and let my head rest on his stomach instead. That action made both brothers laugh and I happily went along with that, enjoying the childishness of the whole situation.

“Someone’s phone is ringing.” Zhou Mi, who sat closest to the bags, suddenly said, making all of us go silent the moment after to listen whose ringtone was playing. After a mere two seconds, both Donghae and I struggled to get up and ran to our bags to find our phones when we recognised the song ‘Run’ from Epik High. In the end it turned out to be my phone ringing.

“Same ringtone?” I asked amused, making him nod. I grinned playfully. “Never thought you were an Epik High fan.” I then said, picking up right after those words. “Yes, who is this?”

“Snipe! It’s me! What are you doing tomorrow at lunch?” Heechul’s voice immediately boomed in my ear, making me jerk the phone away from it at once. I sighed.

“Going somewhere with you, I guess?” I murmured, rolling my eyes at Donghae who was having lots of fun with my situation. He made an OK-sign at me and ran back to the others. I stuck out my tongue at his back, making Hyukjae and Yumiko, who had been looking at me, chuckle over it.

“Yes! Great! This is why you’re the best even if you’re annoying!” Heechul meanwhile cheered in my ear, making me roll my eyes again at no one in particular now.

“Why? What’s going on?” I then inquired to know, causing him to sigh deeply.

“Seriously, you should inform yourself about your friends more often, Snipeydoodle.” he scolded me, but before I could protest against the nickname, he continued already. “It’s Nana and Kyu’s first anniversary and I want to celebrate that they were able to stand each other for so long by locking them in a classroom during lunch.” I couldn’t help but laugh at that plan, making Heechul chuckle as well.

“Fine. I’ll call you tonight and you can tell me all about it then, my dear Heesteregg.” I replied. “Right now I’m in the middle of a very fun soccer practice and I’d like to continue that.”

“Soccer practice? Oh, you’re hanging out with the group? Jungsoo says hi to his cousins.” Heechul blurted out, leaving me not time to speak again as he went on. “I’ll talk to you tonight then. If you get on The Last Call, we can play a bit while I tell you the details.”

“That’d be cool. I miss playing.”

“I know you do, you computer addict! You should..”

“Bye Heesteregg. Talk to you tonight!” I interrupted him, hanging up right after. As I turned to walk back to the others, he already called again, making me pick up with a smile. “What?”

“You don’t hang up on me like that! Snipeydoodle!” he boomed in my ear, immediately hanging up after that. I stared at my phone in shock for a moment, before I burst out laughing. The others gave me a few weird looks as I reached them, but I merely smiled, sitting back down next to Ryeowook. Everyone had meanwhile gotten up a little, sitting on the grass more normally now. Sung Yeon was still leaning against Siwon happily, whereas the other boys were just sitting in some kind of circle, with Yumiko leaning against Sungmin.

“Jungsoo says hi to his cousins.” I told the two sitting left of me.

“Jungsoo hyung called you?” Hyukjae immediately asked surprised. I grinned.

“No, Heechul did, but apparently Jungsoo was around. Do you guys talk often?”

“Not really. At family gatherings.” Donghae replied. Hyukjae nodded to that.

“And sometimes in school when we happen to pass by each other and have something to say.” he then added. I smiled understandingly.

“Enough chitchat, let’s play some soccer!” Ryeowook suddenly exclaimed, getting up from the ground. “I want to see how you cope in a match, Soojin.”

Well.. Sufficient is to say that I failed. Miserably. I kicked more balls in the bushes and bleachers than in the field and I certainly did not come near any goal. Yet I did have fun and they say that that is the most important thing, right? Sungmin was having a little less fun, since he was able to witness Yumiko talk and laugh with Sung Yeon and a very happy Zhou Mi. I could only grin over this whole triangle situation, being joined in my amusement by all four the other boys.

Lucky for Sungmin, Zhou Mi had to leave after another twenty minutes, causing Yumiko and Sung Yeon to walk back down the bleachers and join us on the field. I took that as my sign to stop playing for a bit and take a short break from all the running around like a headless chicken.

“Why don’t you go out playing some, Yumi?” I asked amused. She frowned at me.

“Are you crazy? I hate soccer.” she retorted, making me chuckle.

“Then you really chose the best group to become friends with.” I joked, causing a grin to spread on her face again.

“I did not befriend them for the great sport they play.” she said, making the boys who had gathered around us smile appreciatively. I chuckled and looked at them.

“Oh right, I forgot.” I then mumbled. “You just did because there was no one else.” Those words made the boys gasp offended and I gave them an innocent smile, before I quickly ran off. It wasn’t long before they caught me, however, since there were five of them, and I soon found myself tightly held in Siwon’s grip, having four boys stare at me angrily. I eyed them with the innocent smile still on my face. “I was just joking?” I tried, but it didn’t really convince them, so I waited one moment longer before suddenly pulling free from Siwon’s grip and setting off in another direction.

That time Ryeowook was the first to reach me, grabbing my shoulder and pulling me to a halt. What happened next only got registered in my senses after it happened, making it already too late to undo it. I turned around in a whirl, grabbed his wrist and his collar, before turning and tackling him over my hip. Everyone stared in shock as he flew over like a puppet, landing on his butt with a thud. I needed only two seconds to realise what had happened and crouch down next to him to see if he was okay.

“I’m sorry. Reflex.” I mumbled a little embarrassed, dusting off his shoulder and flushing a bright red. He slowly moved his arms around and tested his back for any injuries. When everything seemed to be okay he finally looked up at me, sending me a stern look. I nearly died in embarrassment and guilt as he looked at me in silence.

“I am never going to touch you again in my life.” he then told me, slowly starting to get up. “And then people are surprised I don’t spend time with girls. When I do, they hit me, kick me and throw me on the ground. I might just go gay for real.” he went on complaining, making everyone laugh.

“Don’t count on me to be your partner in crime this time, though.” Sungmin said grinning, having an arm happily thrown around Yumiko’s shoulders. Looking at the two of them being rather close and touchy, I suddenly wondered why no one in this group ever seemed to bring up the whole Zhou Mi-Yumiko-Sungmin thing, but then I realised that neither did I, so I shouldn’t be so sceptical.

The moment Ryeowook was back on his feet, they wanted to go on, but I refused to play any longer, being rather tired from all the running and pretty hard sport. So practice ended like that and everyone sank back down on the grass again to just relax a little. I did some wannabe stretch moves while lying down, causing everyone else to laugh at my silliness, but then we all basically just lay there and stared blankly ahead.

I myself was watching clouds, but I must have been really tired, because the next thing I knew, someone was poking my side, trying to get me to wake up. I quickly opened my eyes, looking into the face of Choi Siwon, who sent me a handsome smile and then disappeared out of view. A little embarrassed for having fallen asleep, I slowly started to get up, only to notice that my head had been resting on Donghae’s stomach. He got up as well the moment I did, making me blush a little more.

“I’m sorry.” I mumbled to him. “Shouldn’t have fallen asleep on you.” He showed me a happy grin and ruffled my hair, causing me to stroke it back in place as I remembered my words to Kibum from a while back.

“That’s okay.” Donghae then happily told me. “I only decided to be your pillow after you fell asleep, so there’s nothing you can do about sleeping on me, it was my own choice.” He grinned once more and got up, reaching out a hand to help me up as well, which I gladly accepted. Once back on our feet, I turned to look at the others, to see what they were doing.

Siwon and Sung Yeon had grabbed their stuff and were just waving at us, before walking off. Ryeowook did something much the same, but he came over and gave me a pat on the shoulder, wishing me good luck with judo-throwing people around. Those words caused me to blush again in embarrassment and the two boys had a good laugh about that, before the maknae walked off. Donghae and I then calmly walked over to Yumiko, Sungmin and Hyukjae. The latter offered us a ride home, which we gladly accepted, although I did see Sungmin’s smile falter for a moment when he lost the chance himself.

So after a short drive, the two boys dropped us off in front of my house and we quickly went inside because we were already a little late for dinner. My mother didn’t seem to mind much, though, and we happily talked about the slightly tiring but fun soccer practice and the group of boys who were really nice. Yet that evening as I went to bed, my thoughts drifted back to Kibum and I fell asleep with a smile on my face, thinking about the fact that we were now officially dating.

No comments:

Post a Comment