Tuesday 30 August 2011

[FIC] It's Complicated

Title: It's Complicated
Characters: Kibum, OC, SJ
Rating: PG
Chaptercount: 7/36
Summary: Soojin meets a guy who turns her world upside down but then there's a few dozen others as well.
A/N: This is one of my most beloved novels (not that I wrote THAT many, but still) and I think I will forever cherish the characters in this. This story also helped me shape my view on the different members and is the first of few stories in which I used first person.

- - - - -

So, 5 hours, a whole discussion with Heechul about sports being important and me having a duty towards my friends that I wonand a phone call to Kibum later, it was decided that I was going out with him, Nerdy and Nerdier. Heechul’s protests were ignored and I decided to enjoy myself that evening to my best avail. It was only when I got home that I realised I had long ago planned a mission with my online friends later that evening. A mission they needed me for as their sniper. I died a little inside as I opened the game, realising exactly what plans Heechul had been talking about that I had made. Once I was logged in, I started typing to my guild members.

‘You guys, I can’t make it tonight. I’m going out with some friends.’

‘Yah, we heard.. K-World told us.’


I sighed, but realised I should have expected it. I felt a strange feeling of guilt and disappointment for forgetting about the mission take over my insides and I closed my eyes for a moment. I was starting to realise that maybe it would be better if I dropped gaming altogether. Life was becoming more interesting and my mother had gotten so piped up over me going out with friends more often that it wouldn’t surprise me if she would started dragging me out on her shopping trips again to go to all the girly stores and buy every tiny thing she saw and liked, but that we really didn’t need.

Somehow, the thought of going shopping with my mother like old times made me smile. I realised I was really opening up to the world again in the few months since I had met Heechul, Hangeng, Kibum and their friends. My eyes scanned the empty wall behind my computer and I couldn’t help but sigh deeply as I realised what a long time one year really was to be playing silly computer games. My eyes darted to the screen and I found myself wondering if I still had my first place in the rankings. Perhaps I had already lost it to another sniper..

My thoughts were interrupted by the sound of my personal messenger. I let my eyes glide to the right lower corner of my screen, but when seeing the name of the person that logged in, I jumped up from my chair a little, almost falling off as it rolled a few centimetres backwards when I landed on it again. I quickly wrote an apology and an ‘I have to go’ to my guild members, closing the game and opening my messenger to start talking to the person that had just gotten on. My heart was beating at an insane rate because of my excitement over the name I had seen. I immediately started writing away.

Snipe saysYOU’RE BACK!!! YOU’RE REALLY BACK!? OMONA! HOW WAS IT? DID THEY TREAT YOU WELL? SHOULD I GO SCOLD THEM FOR NOT TREATING YOU LIKE THEY SHOULD? HOW ARE YOU? HOW WAS IT? ARE YOU HEALTHY? HAS YOUR HAIR GROWN BACK YET? OMIGOSH YOU’RE HOME!

Captain K.Y. saysHahaha! Hello Jinnie! I’m doing fine. There’s no need to scold anyone. I’m really back, yes. It has been too long! We should meet soon! How have you been holding up?

Snipe saysWell, I’ve been doing fine! Enjoying my two years of no-you-time of course! xD

Captain K.Y. saysYou know you love me, sweetie, don’t try to deny it. =P

Snipe saysWe both know I do. <3

Captain K.Y. saysGood! xD

Snipe saysBut I have to go now, my dearest. There are people I’m going out with tonight and I want to take a shower before we go. You know.. Don’t want to stink when I meet them.

Captain K.Y. saysYou’re going out? O_O

Snipe saysYes. Don’t look so surprised.

Captain K.Y. saysA miracle has happened while I was in the army! =D Where are you going?

Snipe saysLOL! xD I’m going to a club or something.. Actually I’m not really sure where I’m going.. My friend asked me if I wanted to go out with the group tonight and I just said yes. He’s going to pick me up later and we’re going into the city I suppose..

Captain K.Y. saysWell, I’m going out myself tonight. We might bump into each other! ^^

Snipe saysHaha. Already going out, are you? xD

Captain K.Y. saysYou know me. I can’t just sit at home and do nothing. =P

Snipe saysI do know you, indeed. Maybe I’ll see you later then, huh?

Captain K.Y. saysYes! So do go and shower.. Wouldn’t want you to kill me with your smell now that I’m finally home.

Snipe saysAye captain! You take care and we’ll meet up soon, ne?

Captain K.Y. saysNe! Bye sweetie.

I logged out with a smile on my face that stayed there throughout the whole course of going to the bathroom, taking a shower and coming back to my room to get dressed. I found myself wondering what I should wear that evening for the first time in years. My eyes scanned the contents of my wardrobe and searched for something nice to wear between all the casual clothes, but I had to admit to myself that there was nothing in there fit for a night out. Feeling a little disappointed, I decided to wear one of my jeans. When my fingers touched the fabric, however, I remembered that there was someone in the house with lots of clothes and the same size as me.

“Mom!”

My mother was with me in a matter of seconds. It was kind of strange, but I shrugged it off as a mother’s instinct and pulled her into my room. She was already shocked at this action of mine, since I hadn’t let her in my room in years, but stared even more when I put her to stand in front of my wardrobe. It was very organised for the moment and that made it all the more obvious that I didn’t really have that much clothes in my possession.

“I’m going out tonight, but I don’t have anything decent to wear.” I whined, motioning at the casual jeans and T-shirts in the wardrobe, before adding a desperate “Help me.” My mother eyed the clothes for a while, nodding thoughtfully to herself, before turning to me again.

“I suppose you’re still not going to wear a dress?” she asked. I shook my head, after which she immediately plucked a pair of jeans out of the wardrobe and pushed it into my hands. I eyed it in surprise, trying to figure out why she wanted me to wear this. I just told her I had nothing good to wear, didn’t I? Since when did my mother agree with me wearing regular jeans? Before I could ask about it, however, she walked off to her own room. “I have this amazing blouse that will totally fit well with that jeans. You have to wear a bit of heels under it, though. You will do that, won’t you? If not I might have to find something else, but I’m sure I have a bunch of stuff that fit you..”

I cheered when she started rambling about clothes and quickly followed her to her own room, watching how she pulled open her wardrobe’s doors and rummaged through the overly huge amounts of clothes she had in there. A short silence settled between us, until she suddenly turned to me and handed me a turquoise with black blouse that was long enough to wear as a dress, but that could also be worn over a pair of jeans. I inspected it for a moment, before looking at my mother again. She was giving me an expectant look.

“Well? What are you waiting for? Go see if it fits. You will have to wear slight heels, but that’s okay, right? You’re really going out, not play basket again, are you?” she said, ushering me out of the room to go change in the bathroom. I quickly nodded.

“Yes, mom, I’m going out, but I’m not really sure what we’re going to do. Kibum just asked me out and I agreed. Have no idea where they plan on going.” I said, walking into my bedroom and quickly getting some underwear, socks and a bra to wear as well.

“They?” my mother asked.

“Yes. Kibum, Ner.. Err, Jungsoo and Jong-something. I don’t really know the last two, but they’re Kibum’s friends.” I replied, as I walked into the bathroom and closed the door behind me. I didn’t stop the conversation, however. “He says they’re quite alright, but I’m not really sure about that. They looked a bit nerdy to me.” A very huge bit.

“You know to never judge a book by its cover, Jin.” my mom said to me through the door. “This Kibum, is he the guy that was here a few weeks ago?”

“No, that was Heechul.” I said, putting on my bra and underwear.

“Oh, I see. Where did you meet them?” I smiled a little as I realised that my mother was taking my moment of talkativeness to ask me out about everything, but somehow the conversation was pleasant and I didn’t mind replying to her questions, because she sounded very understanding and not at all as pushy as she used to sound to me before.

“They’re both in my school. I met Heechul on that game I play online, but he turned out to be in my school. He’s one of the popular bunch there, but he’s quite okay. At times a little arrogant, though.” I told her, sounding a little muffled as I pulled the blouse over my head. I fixed it a little so that it fell down the right way and then picked up the jeans. “And Kibum.. You know him actually. Kim Kibum? He has been in my class ever since kindergarten. I’m sure you’ve heard of him or talked to his parents a few times, right? I mean, you used to talk to everyone’s parents.” I chuckled a bit as I pulled up my pants and zipped it shut. I then took a few steps back to be able to admire myself in the mirror.

“Kim Kibum? The cute little kid from your middle school who was always very polite and never did something wrong?” my mother asked in surprise. “Was he in your school in high school as well?” She seemed to be very shocked by this fact and I realised that my mother had never heard me talk about him before, since I did not correspond with him myself.

“Yes. In the same class as me even, but we never really talked. A bunch of weeks ago we bumped into each other on the basketball court. Apparently he’s majoring in Asian languages, just like me, and he’s having some of the same side classes as well.” I explained. I inspected myself for a bit, before opening the door and doing a very model-like pose for my mother. “What do you think?” I asked, grinning at her. She let her eyes wander over my outfit with a frown, but when she looked up at my face again, a grin broke through on hers as well.

“It’s wonderful. Do you have shoes to go with this or shall I show you some? I bought this pair of beautiful high heels when I was in the city last week. They’re really gorgeous and I’m sure they will fit marvellous with this. Want me to go get them for you?” she beamed at me. I couldn’t help but laugh softly at her enthusiasm. It was actually quite nice to see my mother burst with liveliness again and I realised that I couldn’t even remember the last time I spend this much time with her. I felt even more guilty than I had felt for not being able to do the mission. I tried not to show those feelings, however, when I replied to her stream of words.

“Of course, mom, I’d love to see them.” I said, taking a step towards her, to show that I would accompany her. “Do you happen to have any nice but small earrings that go with this outfit? I’ve been wearing these for too long now, might want to differentiate a bit more, but all I have at the moment are my old fancy ones. I don’t really want to be overdressed tonight either, as I’m just going out. Think you have anything I can wear?” My stream of words seemed to surprise my mother, but she confidently walked to her room again.

“I’m sure I have some matching earrings in my modest collection.” she said. There was a short silence before we both burst out laughing.

“Ah yes.. But we might not be able to find anything in between that modest collection of twenty thousand earrings of yours.” I replied to her, grinning like an idiot. She gave me a playful push against the shoulder, before opening the closet she had especially for her shoes and picking out a pair, which she put in front of me. They were open shoes with a very tiny heel of maybe 1 or 2 centimetres. The black leather straps were decorated with little pieces of glass diamonds, but apart from that, there was nothing out of the ordinary about them. I liked them.

“Look here, look here!” my mom suddenly said, making me look up at her. She was standing at her make-up table, holding up something to me that I couldn’t see from where I was standing. I happily walked up to her to inspect whatever it was that she was trying to show me. It turned out to be a pair of gorgeous silver earrings. The simple little diamonds had a very sparkling shine to them and would catch the attention, even though they weren’t very spectacular. I liked them lots, but realised moments after that I had seen them before.

“Mom! These are the earrings dad gave you when you two married!” I exclaimed in shock, immediately trying to give them back to her. My mother refused to take them, however.

“God, Jin, that’s what? Twenty-four years ago? They’re just normal earrings. As long as you don’t lose them or sell them it’s fine for you to wear them.” she protested, pushing my hands back to me. I wanted to protest, but right at that moment, someone rang the bell. “Seems like your date is already here. Put them on and wear your shoes, I’ll go open up for you.” my mother was quick to say, walking past me and out of the room.

“He’s not my date!” I called after her and she laughed. I couldn’t help but smile as well, letting my eyes rest on the earrings for a moment, before quickly taking out the ones I was wearing before and putting the new ones in. I then slipped my feet in the nice shoes and closed the lids. Right when I got up again, I could hear my mother say: “Kibum-ah! What a long time ago! You have grown so much! Come in, come in. Soo Jin is getting ready, she’ll be down in a moment..” I groaned as I set off to my room to quickly grab a purse for my personal stuff and pull a brush through my still a little wet hair, before rushing downstairs to save Kibum from the boring mother-talk.

No comments:

Post a Comment