Thursday 25 August 2011

[FIC] Happy Birthday

Title: Happy Birthday
Characters: Hangeng, Donghae
Rating: G
Wordcount: 1.057
Summary: It's the first time Hangeng spends his birthday so far away from his friends.
A/N: So I felt the sudden urge to write a Hangeng story as it was his birthday after all. I asked my dear unni for a friendship Hangeng pairing & she gave me Hanhae, which is why you're here, reading the A/N of a Hanhae story now. Originally the plot for this was longer than what this story is, but I liked the ending as it is now. I will probably (maybe not) write wrote the rest of the plot into a different one-shot that I might or might not did post up here as well. As for now, enjoy this little piece of my imagination that holds a great love for a certain Chinese gentleman whom I want to squish loads right now. :)
Sequel

- - - - -

He was sitting in a corner of the dumpling store, sharing a meal with his parents for the first time in a long time. It was a mild February evening, the one right before his birthday actually, and the store was swarming with customers. Every now and then a fan would come up to ask for his autograph or to take a picture, others came to have a small conversation or wish him an early happy birthday, but in general they left him alone quite nicely.

As time passed, more and more people started to leave, but a select few stayed around a little longer. Because the store would be closed the next day, it was exclusively opened until midnight that evening and there were many who took advantage of that. He remained in his spot in the corner of the store, taking the birthday greetings from people with a smile and picking up his phone when he got a text every now and then.

It was close to midnight when suddenly the happy tune of some Chinese song sounded up from his phone. He automatically reached for it, picking up without looking at the caller ID, as he had a good idea of who it would be. The same person always called him up at the same time, the day before his birthday. He was late this day. Or early; depending on how one would look at it.

“Hey hyung.” it sounded through the phone, the voice slightly different from usual because of the rustle on the line, but still with the same seemingly never changing happy tone in it. “I’m sorry for being late, but happy birthday. I wanted to tell you face to face, yet someone thought it a good idea to run off to China so I couldn’t. I wonder who that idiot was, huh? Anyway, where’s the party this year? I hope you at least got free schedules so you can celebrate..?”

He was smiling widely because of the other’s words and didn’t hide his happiness as he replied with an amused “Thanks, Hae.” He had been a little unsure if Donghae would call. Ever since they met, the younger had dutifully wished him a happy birthday at midnight, the start of his birthday. Whether he did that in person or over the phone, Hae always managed to say it every year. But now that he had gone to China, he had feared the call might have been too expensive for the younger to make, so he was glad Donghae had still called.

“I actually have to film for a variety show tomorrow, but it’s only in the afternoon so I can sleep in for once. I don’t think there’s a birthday party going on, though, unless they’ve arranged a surprise party behind my back.” he continued talking after the short silence that had ensued as he pondered over his own luck. The reply came immediate, Donghae’s happy voice ringing in his ears as if he wasn’t miles away, but right beside him.

“I’m sure they did. Who could resist throwing you a birthday party, eh hyung?” the younger piped. There were some sounds in the background as if there were other people around and Hangeng figured Donghae was not alone wherever he was, yet something else grabbed his attention before he could ask about the younger’s whereabouts.

“Hae, about you being sorry for being late; you don’t have to be. Did you forget I’m one hour behind on Seoul now? It’s not yet midnight here, so you’re actually early.” he brought up the new thoughts, making the other side of the line become silent for a moment. When the silence didn’t seem to change, he got a little worried, so he tried to make sure the other was still there. “Hae?” he inquired, watching how the last customer got up and left.

“Yes I’m still here, hyung, don’t worry. I just had to answer someone for a moment.” the reply immediately came. He realised Donghae must have put his hand on the speaker, which explained the sudden silence. Before he could repeat himself in case Donghae didn’t catch it, the other continued talking. “But you’re right, hyung. I forgot China is one hour behind on Korea. I guess I still am in time then. Ain’t I awesome?”

“You are. You still broke your tradition of telling me exactly at midnight, though, that’s still a few minutes away.” Hangeng countered, unable to hide his grin as Donghae’s Mokpo dialect sounded through in his words. The younger chuckled as well.

“Ah, well.. I guess it can’t be helped.” he then sighed.

A short silence fell as they both listened to the noise on the line. This time Donghae was the one to break it again. “Say, do you want to watch the stars with me, hyung?” he asked in a soft voice, as if thinking back to something.

The question brought many memories back to Hangeng’s mind as well and he was up and walking to the door before being fully aware of it. He opened the door and walked out into the night, stopping at the side of the pavement and looking up at the sky. The street lights made him unable to see many stars, but he still tried his best.

“There’s not that many to be seen right now..” he said, belatedly remembering he hadn’t answered his friend. “But I’ll try searching for the ones we always used to look at.” He stared up at the night sky a moment longer, before he spoke again, his voice soft as he remembered days long gone. “Do you remember the first year we did this? When I missed my parents and you tried to cheer me up by showing me I was still living under the same stars they are..”

“I remember.” the reply came, just as soft, but moments later it was followed by a slightly more cheerful. “Hey hyung…it’s midnight.”

He wanted to ask something or crack a joke about him being officially old now, but two arms slipped around his middle before he could, and a head was rested against his back in the next moment. “Happy birthday, hyung.” the voice he had heard through a noisy connection mere moments before then sounded soft and clear from behind him.

No comments:

Post a Comment